Meet Penny Wilson
Penny Wilson is the CMO, Hootsuite and has more than 30 years of experience in senior marketing and executive leadership roles in the technology industry.
Her previous roles include Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) at Juniper Networks, CMO and senior vice president at Macromedia in addition to executive positions at Alias|Wavefront and Merrill Lynch. At Macromedia, Penny led the company’s worldwide marketing efforts through a successful $3.4 billion acquisition by Adobe Systems Inc.
As chief marketing officer of Hootsuite, the most widely used platform to manage social media, Penny leads the company’s global marketing, growth and customer support organizations driving market leadership, brand awareness, demand generation and the creation of memorable customer experiences.
Outside of Hootsuite, Penny pursues her passion for lifelong learning and mentoring of early stage companies. She enjoys spending her free time with family and friends, running, hiking and skiing.
In this episode we discuss…
- How a coffee with Hootsuite CEO Ryan Holmes led to Penny working at HootSuite
- Recent innovations and additions to the HootSuite platform
- Letting the data be how are you go to market with new products
- Trying to go to market with the problems to solve for customers versus the products they provide
- What is HootSuite according to Penny?
- The importance of mapping out a customer’s journey and how you can enhance the customers journey with you
- The benefits of using a tool like HootSuite
- What’s next for Hootsuite?
- HootSuite’s various marketing strategies
S is for social, C is for being a customer centered, A is for being authentic, L is for listening and learning (L squared), and E is for engaging
The Five Questions Highlights…
Penny likes to spread peanut butter and fig jam on her toast, but not at the same time.
Recent favorite book is called “Winning with Data” by Tomasz Tunguz
Life hack is running with her dogs in the morning
Supports The Minerva Foundation that supports young women in science, and the The Ride to Conquer Cancer
Selected Links from this Episode:
Liftmetrix and Hootsuite
AdEspresso and Hootsuite
Thank you to our sponsor Canada Post
P.S. Be sure and check us out the Jelly Marketing Podcast on iTunes. Also find us on Google Play